First Friday Forum Series: 2020 Personal Income Tax Literacy Tune-Up
First Friday Forums are back! And while we may not all feel comfortable enough to return to in-person classes, and while we might be feeling web meeting fatigue, TLC promises to bring you a slate of highly valuable, engaging, and useful subjects that will take those virtual blues away...
Did you ever wish that your math teacher in High School had taught you math that was actually usable in the real world - like how to file a tax return? Maybe you're curious about any basic tax saving opportunities that you might be missing out on, especially in a pandemic year where money is tighter than usual. Whether you are an adult learner, a teacher, or are a lifelong learner, EVERYONE has to file taxes, but not everyone has to pay in when April 15th rolls around.
Join Emily Lewis, Certified Public Accountant, as she discusses some of the questions she receives on a regular basis, including:
• What’s a W4? How do I withhold just the right amount of tax?
• What’s the difference between Earned Income and Unearned Income?
• What’s Self-Employment Tax?
• What’s the standard deduction & new itemized deduction rules?
• Are gifts taxable? What is a charitable contribution deduction?
• What is the difference between a qualifying child and an other dependent?
• Can I claim an adult as an other dependent?
• What credits and deductions can I take? Schedule A overview.
• Should I file Married Filing Separately or Married Filing Jointly? What’s Surviving Spouse & Head of Household?
• When are taxes due? Paying in estimated tax payments & the safe harbor rule.
• Tax debt & Installment plans – Keeping the Tax man from knocking at your door.
And there will be plenty of time for Questions and Answers!
As always, these forums are still free, and teachers requiring Professional Development will receive a certificate of participation.
Join us March 5th from 9:00AM - 10:30AM!